Saturday, February 1, 2020

Can phones make calls out of state?


November first 2016 we moved from our long time home town to do some traveling before we were unable to do so. Many of our friends and family just couldn’t understand why we wanted to be anywhere other than where he had been all our lives. So sad for them. The adventure was the best ever for us and so many memories to reflect on. There were some days where it was tiresome and very difficult but most days it was a fun with so much to see and do.

In the beginning some friends would call or text, but as time went on, the Minnesota contacts stopped. For some reason Minnesota was unable to send calls out of state. But no matter where we were our phones were expected to and still  worked. Friends and family fell off the planet or they lost their phones or computers, I’m not sure which.  But let me tell you, if our phones or computers failed to function we were in the dog house. Since when do roads only go one way or phones only work to receive calls? In this day and age of technology you would think one would never lose touch with anyone. But some just don’t take the time to pick up the phone or make a road trip. Not even when it’s just a few hundred miles or less. Now that we live some 2000 miles from our home state we know it’s not a short jaunt down the road. It costs quite a bit to make the trip whether by car or plane. But with cell phones, a phone call costs nothing, but it is priceless to the receiver of the call or text.

My closest friend I have now is a lady, LuAnn, that I have never met in person. She listens, texts and sends prayers daily. She lives many miles away, but we both know how it feels to be remembered by someone that cares and forgotten by others. We connect with each other multiple times a day without fail. Even when she is in the hospital we still stay in touch. We don't wait for the other to make the first move, we don’t care who is first, just that we are there for each other even if it’s to just say hi and have a good day. She has been a God given gift to me this last year. And I know she feels the same way.

The only relative I have anymore is my dear cousin, Patty, who writes or calls every day. We never forget to email or text or call. And we don’t expect the other to send or call first. We just do it and we do it because we love one another and care about each other. God also blessed me with a sister. A sister who isn’t biological but as dear to me as if she were. Marks sister Barb. She and her husband David are all the family we have outside of our son Lincoln, grandson Patrick, and daughter in law, Maria. And for all of them we are truly grateful.

I started doing another blog when we were thinking of traveling and continued up until a month or so ago. I started it to keep our family and friends informed as to our where about. The reason I no longer use that blog  is that no one really cared enough about us to contact us so why should I continue the blog to keep them up to date. Again, phones work both ways, as do emails, text, and snail mail.

As I’m writing this my hurt and anger is starting to build and it shows. But I guess I really don’t care, I needed to speak up. I’m tired of not being worth anyone's time.  How would you feel if no one cared enough to contact you?

No comments:

Post a Comment