Saturday, October 30, 2021

Good bye ole friend

 Motor Cycle

It was a lonesome, heart felt morning as I heard the phone ring around 8am. As expected the caller confirmed he was from the salvage company and out about 8 minutes. After telling him I would meet him at the bikes location and giving him direction as to getting there once inside the park. I grabbed a shirt and headed over to our old location.
While waiting for the rolloff to arrive I working at clearing a path to drag the motorcycle out of the burnt carport. Then looking the bike over, as I had done so many times before, only this time the difference was the bike was going for the ride with out me.
When the driver arrived he backed his Pete Powered rolloff, no small feet at 40’, into position. Then got out a block and tickel and looked over the bike himself too see where best to attach the chain to it.
We had earlier had the decision that worst case scenario he would tip the bike on it side and drag it out. A thought I hated, but knowing the metric of the situation it may be the only logical solution. But the driver said he would give a try to persuading the bike out on its wheels first.
He attached the cable and jacked around on the front end till he got the fork lock to break and with my help using my foot to keep the slide the driver had placed under the kickstand as a sled, he slowly pulled the bike free from its all but trapped position, And after repositioning the chains a few times the bike came to rest against the edge of his trucks bed still up on its He having been a rider himself at one time, knowing how much a bike meant to a rider gave me a glance that said he understood and even kept the bike upright as he loaded it into a spot in the front of the rolloff’s bed.
He tied the bike down and we finished our business by signing the paperwork and my taking a photo of the document.
Good Bye My Good Friend. You sure were good to me!
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment