Friday, October 1, 2021

Cacti

 Since we have black sunshades on our windows we don't get any harsh bright light through our windows. It is a must have for the summer months but flowers don't like it at all. There are few plants that can tolerate little sunshine and believe me I've tried multiple times with no luck. The plants will live but will not bloom. In MN I had so many beautiful African Violets. Now I have one but it doesn't get enough sunlight to bloom.

A gal in the office had the littlest cute cacti around the office. When I admired them she told me how and where she got them. As a rule I don't like cactus, but these were so small and cute AND there are no stickers/thorns on them. So each day I checked the cactus outside the office looking for little pieces that had fallen off. I collected them and put them in little pots that I had filled with potting soil.

The potting soil I had was quite old so we got some new stuff. The cactus don't seem to mind if the soil is old or not. What they do mind is too much water. So all they get is about 1 teaspoon each morning. Same as what I give the Aleo Vera. The less water the better, but all living things need some water.

The little cacti are doing well on the porch. They get sunlight but not harsh light. With the cooler now I have set my one and only African Violet on the patio table. No direct sunlight for it yet, since the sun is still boss, but it will get more sunlight out there than in the house.

I'm now happy to have succeeded in growing some plants even though they are cacti.  Once they get too big, I'll plant them in the desert. 




No comments:

Post a Comment