Monday, May 25, 2020

Male Crested Gloster Canary

Friday one of the ladies in a canary group that I belong to, told me of a bird store in AZ that had a gloster canary. So I called and yes indeed she had a male crested gloster canary. After asking Mark if he would mind driving to Apache Junction I asked her if she would hold it for me and I would come and purchase the bird the next day. She sent me a couple pictures so I got to see him first too. Just what I as looking for.

Saturday morning we loaded up the truck, Lola, my female canary, extra cage, munchies and water and we set out across the desert to Apache Junction. Being a holiday I was concerned about traffic, but there wasn't nearly as much as expected, nothing like it would have been in MN this weekend. It took us three hours and one missed turn to get there but we made it safely. PTL

The lady that I talked to on the phone had put my bird in a separate cage and put sold on the cage. When we got there I was looking at my bird when she came up to me and asked if I was from Yuma. After answering her with an excited Yes I am, she said she was happy we made it safely. They put the bird in a small   cage for transport. I didn't know that birds do not like those cardboard boxes pet stores use. We even got to keep the cage, it's part of the initial cost. And it may come in handy, who knows

The drive home went well with no missed turns and it was a nice safe ride too. Once home I started to tear down CarlAnns cage to get it cleaned and disinfected for the new bird. The new bird took to the cage well. He seems to really like it too. And he really loved the food and water I had in there for him. He ate and ate and drank and drank. By 7:20 he found his corner for the night so I covered him and let him sleep.

Sunday morning I turned on a video for training a canary to sing. It helps a young bird find their voice. He had a few cute twitters but the real belly song came during online church as Pastor Tom was giving the message. Mark and I looked at each other with big smiles. The little bird sure has a big voice. I was so happy to hear him sing and Mark was very happy that I had my singing male bird. As the day went by I came up with a name, out of the clear blue I started calling him Murphy. I've no idea where that came from, but it fit him well. The rest of the day Murphy sang loudly off and on....in between eating and drinking. Murphy is not as skiddish as CarlAnn was, he lets you watch him, even when he is taking a bath. And boy does he love to splash and enjoy the water.  I need to put up a backsplash for him. 😆

Yes, I am one very happy lady, thanks to my loving husband.
I love the crest on the top of a glosters head, it looks like a cap and makes them so unique.



No comments:

Post a Comment