Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Busy busy

 Mark has been busy working on putting the canvas walls on the carport. Two walls are up and the turned out very nice. The back wall is almost completed and really took a toll on Mark. He had to take it slower than he liked and do things differently because he still can't reach and exert much pressure in that position without causing extreme pain. Going through thick steel, then wood and canvas, takes a lot of work. He took many breaks so as not to over work his new heart parts and chest plate. There were time he didn't listen to his brain, but he caught on quickly enough. Getting him to stop and slow down is a huge challenge. His brain is still telling him that he is 45 while his body is reminding him otherwise. 

 We both are so anxious to get all the stuff off of the porches and back in the carport. Mark will have a small work bench on the back wall and his motorcycle will fit in the center with the selves on the outside walls. He still has quite a few totes to go through and toss yet. But it will get done. God willing that we have no more health issues getting in the way.

The Christmas baking and such is under way. Today I'll be making peanut brittle and coconut brittle. Each year I make the first batch of peanut brittle for Marks birthday and this year is no exception. It will be one of about 4 batches. These two candies are the only candies that will be made. We don't care for the fudges and such. Once the candy is done I'll be starting on the many varieties of Christmas cookies. I don't make everyday drop cookies, we eat them all year. Christmas cookies are special and time consuming. Which is why they are only made at Christmas time. That makes them special and highly anticipated as well.  Since we are true cookie lovers and really love these holiday cookies my batches of each variety are quite large. As long as I'm able I will continue the tradition. And when I can't do it anymore, it will break my heart to give it up. Store bought cookies for Christmas doesn't float for us. But time changes everything.

I've taken stock of all the pounds of butter that I have in the freezer and I should have enough to get through my baking. But I may need more since we use butter for every day use as well. Margarine should be illegal in cookies, yuck. And in Christmas cookies, it should be jail time at best. hehehe Butter is better for you anyway. Anywho, I hope there will be butter on sale this month should I need more. Laughing to myself: there is seldom less than 9 pounds of butter in my freezer. I'm a sale shopper and hate to pay full price on anything. Which is why we had to buy a freezer when we decided to call AZ home.

Time's a wastin', I better get to the candy making. The busy days of December have begun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment