Monday, December 14, 2020

Batteries for the Solar

 So our solar batteries finally reached the end of their life cycle. Not bad when you consider all they have done during out quest. This is the same solar system I had built for the 5er so we got somewhere between 4 and 5 years out of the batteries. Not bad in my opinion.

I admit to nursing them along over the last year or so, but then they didn't have a hard job since they were only running the electrical in the shed. So now I have limited the solar system down to 3 batteries from 4, mainly because of the cost factor as each battery cost is between $100 to $140 dollars.
Keep in mind Yuma is billed as the Sunniest City in the United States so charging "Usually" is no problem..... Notice "Usually" is being hi-lighted. As after the install I started working in the new carport running the skill saw, drill and air compress. Not noticing what the charge level was on the batteries till my new air compressor, Thank You Honey, stopped running while making an unusual noise.
Oops the charge of the batteries had dropped below 1/2 capacity, a no, no, in solar systems. Ok so here comes again my being a little too tight. I had wired one of the old batteries, again a no, no, to the 2 new batteries, first in series then in parallel turning 6 volts into 12. The voltage of the old battery showed it was still with in specs but as I had no way of load testing it, its true condition was really unknown.
So as the charging portion of my solar system check out fine it turned out the old battery was eating up the majority of the charge going to the batteries so the new once were being starved. Something I and most people know might or in my case will happen. But you have to try right.... In battery clusters like my battery array is, if you need to replace one or more older batteries you need to replace them all. END of STORY.
So I removed the old battery and now have the two new ones working just fine. Same amount of power as with 4 batteries but with a shorter mount of supply. But again I have less need for the electricity at this time.
I also, after putting everything back that was stored in the old canvas carport into the new one, have salvaged an old extension cord and voltmeter and installed them in the new carport so I know what the charge level is on my batteries. Reside in the other what we call wood shed. And no I do not cut wood it is in reference to the material the shed is built of.......
It is Always an Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment